NASHVILLE, Tenn.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Nov 15, 2021–
As Americans head into the holiday season, they are met with an inflation rate of 6.2%, up five percentage points from one year ago. Ramsey Solutions’ Q3 State of Personal Finance study reveals that one in five Americans’ day-to-day finances are being significantly impacted by inflation; however, 25% of Americans are planning to spend more this holiday season than they did last year.
Those with consumer debt (28%) were more than twice as likely to say inflation has had a significant impact on their day-to-day finances compared to those who are consumer debt-free (13%). Despite the impact of the economic climate, consumers are anticipating spending $641 on Christmas alone, and over half of them (56%) will turn to credit cards to do this.
“In a time when inflation is forcing Americans to stretch every dollar, many are tempted to take on unnecessary consumer debt,” said Rachel Cruze, personal finance expert and Ramsey Personality. “Going into debt is never the answer. The key to winning with money is establishing a budget and sticking to it, no matter what’s going on around you.”
This holiday season, technology is at the top of the wish list, as 52% of consumers plan to spend on things like computers, phones and tablets. Forty-eight percent (48%) plan to buy clothing, 36% will look for deals on toys, 27% say they’ll buy appliances, and 23% plan to buy furniture. Millennials are planning to shop for upgrades for their homes this holiday season.
Other key findings:
- Six in 10 consumers don’t believe Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals are exclusive.
- 42% of shoppers end up buying more than intended during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- 37% say they regret purchases they’ve made on Black Friday or Cyber Monday in the past.
- One in four online shoppers have used buy now, pay later (BNPL) apps like Affirm or Klarna in the last three months.
- 74% of those using BNPL services in the last three months have missed a payment.
- In the last three months, 30% of Gen Z and 42% of millennials have used BNPL services.
- 88% of Gen Z and 78% of millennials have missed payments in their BNPL payment plan.
Read the full study at https://www.ramseysolutions.com/budgeting/state-of-personal-finance-2021-q3-research
About the Study
The State of Personal Finance study is a quarterly research study conducted by Ramsey Solutions with 1,004 U.S. adults to gain an understanding of the personal finance behaviors and attitudes of …….