DANVILLE — Halloween may be the spookiest night of the year, but there’s no reason it needs to be the scariest. The emergency medicine team at the University of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital offers advice for preventing medical scares so your pets can enjoy their tricks and treats alike on the holiday and beyond.
Call if you have concerns
“On Halloween we definitely see a lot of toxicities here. Pets eat things they shouldn’t,” says Alysha McDaniel, a certified veterinary technician in the teaching hospital’s emergency room. “As soon as you notice symptoms, please call us. Calling does not necessarily mean your pet needs to come in, but if you do come, we have that much more time to get the right equipment ready for your visit.”
The Small Animal Clinic phone number is 217-333-5300.
“It also really helps to save any wrappers, because we want to know what they ate and how much, to get an initial idea of the dose,” she recommends.
Unfortunately, you may not find physical evidence, like chewed wrappers or chocolate-smeared guilty smiles, before symptoms start to present.
“Just one mini-size chocolate candy bar will not usually cause severe clinical signs like vomiting,” says Dr. Mara Vernier, a veterinarian who is completing a residency in small animal emergency and critical care.
She advises calling the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline at 888-426-4435 with exactly what and how much your pet ate. “The experts at the ASPCA hotline can prepare you for what clinical signs may emerge and direct you toward any necessary intervention.”
“When it comes to toxicity, chocolate’s a main concern, but an unusual amount of anything they shouldn’t be eating can cause problems,” says McDaniel. “A veterinarian needs to determine the correct treatment. Some toxins will do more damage to the stomach and esophagus lining coming back up, so your pet may need medication to prevent vomiting.”
“We do worry about candy with sugar alternatives. Xylitol (an artificial sweetener), for instance, can cause hypoglycemia and result in seizures,” notes Dr. Vernier. “Typically a lot of sugar would result in self-limiting GI upset, which is still worth a call. A veterinarian would need to see your pet if there is frequent or profuse upset.”
Unfortunately, pets are not fully in the clear when the calendar turns to November. Even small holiday treats passed under …….