Provost Lisa K. Saladin, Director Kathleen Ellis, and Faculty Director Dr. Michael Sweat with speaker Chris Elias at MUSC Global Health Week.
The MUSC Center for Global Health hosts the annual Global Health Week, featuring a week-long schedule of student presentations, health expert panels, and cultural demonstrations. This exciting event provides MUSC students, residents, faculty, and staff access to global health experts and the platform to examine critical issues impacting communities locally and around the world.
2021 Virtual Global Health Week:
- Academic sessions with global health experts spanning 3 continents
- Live Arabian dance, fashion, and drum demonstration
- A global audience from more than 66 organizations in 7 countries
- MUSC international student panel discussing the culture, fashion, and health care systems of their home countries
Sessions and Participants:
Keynote Panel: Challenges of Global COVID-19 Vaccination
Read about the expert panel discussion.
- Moderator: Thomas C. Quinn, M.D., MSc
Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Global Health
Professor of Medicine, Pathology, International Health, Epidemiology, and Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
Associate Director of International Research, NIH
- Peter Hotez, M.D., Ph.D.
Dean, National School of Tropical Medicine
Professor, Pediatrics, Molecular Virology & Microbiology
Baylor College of Medicine
- Heidi Larson, Ph.D.
Professor of Anthropology, Risk and Decision Science
Founding Director of the Vaccine Confidence Project
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Emmanuel Agogo, MBBS MSc MTropMed DRCOG FRCGP
Nigeria Country Representative
Resolve To Save Lives (An initiative of Vital Strategies)
- Dr. Michael Sweat, MUSC Center for Global Health and College of Medicine
A Journey into the Cultural Dances of the Arab World: Raqs Arabi
- David Metz (Seattle, WA)
- DancingBeena (Charleston, SC)
Globe-trotting with MUSC: Lebanon, Philippines, and Sri Lanka
- Amanda Daulagala, College of Graduate Studies
- Jessa Mae H. Sabate, College of Pharmacy
- Rose Marie Akiki, College of Graduate Studies/College of Medicine
The Public Health Crisis of War: Global Case Studies
- Moderator: John Vena, Ph.D., MUSC
- Mulugeta Gebregziabher, Ph.D., MUSC: War as a Public Health Priority
- Isaias Irgau, M……..