For the Love of Pets: Holiday items Fido and Fluffy should avoid – The Mercury News

Holiday season is here again! And as celebrations begin, you may be tempted to share holiday
treats with your furry friends – but keep in mind that some common holiday items can be toxic to
your pet. To keep your pet safe during the holiday season, keep these items out of paw’s reach:

Hazardous food and drinks:






Cooked bones


Fatty and spicy foods

Fruit pits – apricot, cherry, peach


Grapes and raisins

Holiday turkey and turkey skin

Macadamia nuts

Milk and dairy



Nuts – including almonds, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts


Salty snack foods – potato chips, pretzels, and popcorn

Yeast dough

While it may seem generous to “treat” your pet during the holidays, these items – especially
chocolate – are dangerous for pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and hyperactivity, along with increased thirst, urination and heart rate.

Candies containing a sweetener called xylitol are also toxic and have been linked to liver failure and death in dogs.

While plain turkey isn’t toxic, holiday turkeys are often seasoned with butter and spices and stuffed with onion and garlic — which could cause your pet an upset stomach or even worse, pancreatitis. Additionally, poultry bones can splinter and cause blockages.

Other holiday hazards:



Food and snack bags

Glass and salt-dough ornaments

Holiday plants — Pine tree needles, poinsettias, lilies, mistletoe and holly berries

Holiday tree water

Lighting — candles and electrical cords

Ribbons and tinsel

Be sure to decorate with caution. We know our pets can be a little too curious for their own
good, especially when it comes to shiny things like tinsel, ribbons, aluminum foil and cellophane
– all of which can cause intestinal blockages if ingested.

Glass ornaments can cause injury as well as intestinal blockage or even toxicity if ingested. Salt-dough ornaments can be mistaken for pet treats, and if ingested, they can cause vomiting and lead to elevated sodium levels in the bloodstream. Electrical wires can cause burns or shock animals who chew on them.

Make sure to cover holiday tree water with a tree skirt because it may contain fertilizers or bacteria …….


Posted on

Leave a Reply